Technology

China Avoids TikTok Question After Trump Claims Deal is Near

 

China has chosen not to respond to former U.S. President Donald Trump’s statement that a deal for American ownership of TikTok is nearly finalized. Trump recently told reporters that talks with Beijing could start as early as this week.

ByteDance, TikTok’s Chinese parent company, faces a looming September 17 deadline to sell its U.S. operations or face a nationwide ban. This deadline stems from legislation signed by President Biden in 2024. Despite this, implementation has faced repeated delays.

At a regular press conference, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Mao Ning avoided commenting on Trump’s remarks, instead reiterating China’s previous positions. She stated, “China has clearly stated its position on TikTok multiple times.”

China’s Stance on Divestment and Technology Export

China has long criticized the U.S. for politicizing business and has insisted that decisions should be driven by market logic, not government interference. Beijing has not shown signs of approving a forced sale of TikTok. In 2023, the Chinese Ministry of Commerce stressed that such a move would constitute a technology export, requiring approval through China’s regulatory system.

The key issue lies in TikTok’s recommendation algorithm, which Beijing views as a strategic asset. This algorithm is central to the app’s user engagement and global popularity.

Currently, TikTok has over 170 million monthly users in the U.S. Pew Research reports that 60% of American teens and one-third of adults use the platform regularly—for news, entertainment, and even income.

Deal Still Uncertain Amid Growing Trade Tensions

Trump, speaking aboard Air Force One last Friday, said the framework of the deal was in place, though it still needs approval from Chinese leadership. “I think we’ve got the bones of a deal worked out,” he said, but admitted he’s unsure if China will give the green light.

He previously hinted that a group of “very wealthy people” had been identified as potential buyers, though he did not name them. Tensions further escalated after Trump announced new reciprocal tariffs, raising duties on Chinese goods to 54%. This reportedly prompted Chinese negotiators to step away from ongoing discussions.

Under the terms of the U.S. divestment law, ByteDance would be limited to a 20% stake in the restructured American TikTok and barred from providing the algorithm or accessing user data.

Alex Capri, a lecturer at the National University of Singapore, noted the challenges of securing Chinese approval. “Even if Beijing overlooks the rising trade tensions and export controls, they’re unlikely to issue export licenses for the underlying technology,” he said.

Meanwhile, TikTok is reportedly preparing to launch a separate U.S.-only version of the app ahead of the September deadline. If approved, the original app may be phased out by March next year.

Assin Malek

Recent Posts

Iran–US Peace Talks Stall as War Tensions and Demands Escalate

  Efforts to reach a peace agreement between Iran and the United States have stalled…

2 weeks ago

Tenerife Welcomes Passengers From Hantavirus Cruise After Weeks of Uncertainty

  Passengers aboard the MV Hondius finally stepped onto dry land in Tenerife after spending…

3 weeks ago

Canvas Cyberattack: Stolen School Data Returned After Major Security Breach

  A significant cybersecurity incident targeting the Canvas learning management system has sparked concern across…

3 weeks ago

US Inflation Rises to 3.8% as Energy and Food Costs Pressure Households

  Inflation in the United States increased to 3.8% in April, marking its highest level…

4 weeks ago

Atlantic Ocean Currents Weakening Faster Than Expected

New research suggests that a major system of ocean currents in the Atlantic is losing…

4 weeks ago

Super El Niño Could Reshape Global Weather Patterns

  A major climate shift could soon influence weather patterns worldwide as conditions in the…

1 month ago