In recent years, Walmart has expanded many of its services to customers. Rather than just a food retailer, the company now offers a range of products and services, including healthcare.
The latest part of its business to be expanded is its pharmacy, as the company recently announced that it will be putting more emphasis on providing healthcare to its customers.
Walmart opened its first-ever pharmacy in 1978, along with its first auto and jewelry departments. The company’s pharmacies now offer a range of services, including prescription pickups, prescriptions for smoking cessation and seasonal allergies, contraceptive services, chronic disease monitoring, flu shots, travel health clinics, and oral treatment for COVID-19.
Now, like many retailers, the company says it plans to promote health and wellness further, and it will do this by offering free health screening and affordable vaccines in its “Wellness Day” promotion. The promotion will provide free screenings at more than 4,600 pharmacies.
On Wellness Day, Walmart customers can expect:
- Free screenings for blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose, body mass index, and vision checks at selected Walmart stores.
- The following vaccines will be offered to customers for affordable prices: Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, varicella (chicken pox/shingles), tetanus, whooping cough, measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR), HPV, pneumonia, and flu.
- Free COVID-19 vaccinations
- Time to talk with pharmacists and other general wellness resources.
- Some stores will offer giveaways and freebies, including samples of supplements, vitamins, and other nutritional items.
Kevin Host, senior vice president of pharmacy at Walmart said in the announcement: “It’s not only the free screenings and the affordable immunizations that make a difference but also the opportunity for connections between our pharmacists and the communities we serve.
We deliver impactful care through our pharmacies, vision centers, Walmart Health centers, and beyond. We’ll continue to innovate and execute a best-in-class health and wellness experience for our patients and customers.”