Apple Pay has broadened its payment options by adding several new methods: Venmo and PayPal credit and debit cards. This comes just months after Apple became the first tech company to offer “buy now, pay later” to its customers with the “Apple Pay Later scheme”.
Customers will still be able to pay in the same way, as the latest additions to the service work for in-store, online, and mobile app transactions.
An added perk is that any rewards or cashback associated with the card are also applicable when using Apple Pay. Additionally, Apple says that purchases are secure as they require verification through Face ID, Touch ID, or a passcode.
This process is not only secure but also faster and more convenient, as your credit or debit card information remains stored on your device. This eliminates the need to physically retrieve a credit card or repeatedly enter shipping information during online purchases.
Currently, cardholders need to add these new payment methods within the Apple Wallet app. However, there are plans to offer a direct link in both the Venmo and PayPal apps in the future.
Some of the additional benefits Venmo and PayPal cardholders can enjoy by adding their cards to their Apple Wallets include:
For Venmo Credit and Debit Cards:
- Earning cashback at participating retailers with the Venmo debit card.
- Cashback with the Venmo credit card: 3% on your highest spending category, 2% on the next highest category, and 1% on the third highest category.
For PayPal Credit and Debit Cards:
- Earning rewards on every purchase made with your PayPal debit card, which can be converted into cashback.
- Unlimited 1% cashback with the PayPal Business Debit Card.
- 2% cashback on purchases made using the PayPal CashBack Credit Card.
Consumers can add their eligible PayPal, Venmo, or debit card to their Apple Wallet just as they would with any other payment method. The process starts by selecting “add debit or credit card” in the Apple Wallet app on your phone, iPad, or Mac.
You can then either manually input your credit or debit card information or scan it into the app. Once the card is added, you’re ready to use your new payment method with Apple Pay.